This is Pizza the Way It Should be, well mostly anyway this recipe uses pizza shells I get from our local grocery store. These shells are some really great wood oven prepared shells with some great flavour all on their own. If you can't find good shells in your local store you can always use pita or naan bread which are readily available now.
The sauce is something I had been working on for a few years tweaking it every time I made pizza and I have finally found a perfect mix of ingredients. This pizza recipe uses caned crushed tomatoes and tomato paste for the sauce and spices from my extensive spice rack one day a picture of it will appear.
The Type of Pizza you make is limited only by your budget and imagination but, well since the boys are pretty simple it is usually pepperoni and cheese with some additional things from time to time for this recipe I have made a spinach, pancetta and feta pizza and a hot capicola and pepperoni pizzas.
Off we go then:
- The Crust
- I use Wood Fired Crusts from local grocery store. You can also use pita bread or naan bread I have used those also and they make perfect personal pizzas.
- The Sauce (this should be made at least 1hr in advance so the flavours have a chance to mix well.)
- This is not your usual pizza sauce from a can it is think and rich!
- ¾tsp Garlic Powder
- ¾tsp Minced Garlic
- 1Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 2tsp Basil
- 2tsp Oregano
- ½tsp Salt
- 1tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ Red Pepper Flakes
- 398ml can of crushed tomatoes
- 156ml can tomato paste
- 2Tbsp Olive oil (if you have flavored oil this is a great place to use it)
- The Pizza Toppings used today
- pepperoni enough for 4 med pizzas about 175grams
- 3 medium button mushrooms sliced
- 4 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- ¼ Green Bell Pepper sliced
- 1 Roma Tomato sliced
- 50grams feta cheese
- 25grams blue cheese
- big handful baby spinach
- 150gram old cheddar cheese
- 250 grams mozzarella cheese
- 50 grams hot capicola
- 50 grams pancetta
- Mix sauce up at least 30 min ahead preferably 60min
- Lets get all saucy now, what you want to do is put all those ingredients into a med size bowl to make it easy to mix it up.Mix it all real well use a whisk to get a good blend. Let it sit for about 30 min then whisk it again. Give it a taste if anything seems off add some of that most often it is not enough pepper so add a bit more and suddenly it will taste like your favourite pizza sauce. You may have to add a bit more oil also.
- Letting it sit is key to a well flavoured sauce if you can let it sit overnight that's even better but hey we do what we can. I can say anything less than 30min before use will not have much flavour above tomato.
- Set your oven to 500 yes 500 I know you never use that setting and it takes a while for it to heat up usually about 15min in my oven.
- Ok this really needs no instruction but for those challenged in the department of unique creative thought here is the process.
- First set your crust on the counter
- Then apply sauce liberally or less depending on your taste.
- Ok sprinkle very thin layer of cheese on sauce
- lay down your meats and veggies in whatever order you see fit.
- Give a final coating of cheese Lots of that cheese crack.
- Now Pull out that good Pizza pan if you are hip you might even have a stone.
- Yes a good pizza pan with holes in it like this one although mine is a mesh pan which is even better than this image.
- Slide that beautiful pizza onto the pan
- Now! Bake that bad boy for about 8 to 12 min that's all you need most of the time unless you put too much stuff on there like I often do which means you will need a couple more minutes.
- Pull it out of the oven and let it cool for at lest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Slice and serve to get rid of the whining you have been listening to for last 30 min while you prepared dinner, pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy your slice or four.
What the kids think, well what is there to mess up they always eat pizza.. Although tonight they were worried that their would not be enough and well I made 2 12″in pizzas for them and they were close they only left one slice.
One more thing unless you make 8 med pizzas or 4 large you will have leftover sauce and the best thing to do with it is add some water to ti and use it for a sauce in your next pasta dish. Use in a few days.